Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Train Table

Pin It

We have officially entered our train phase! 

We contemplated a train table this past Christmas, but didn’t think we were ready yet.  My how things change quickly with a little one growing.  We suddenly are ready and run around the house singing “Chuggington…..” and yelling “Ride the Rails.”

I found a blog after wasting some time on Pinterest that I really liked.  Lindsay at Country Girl Home.

First, I found her entry and loved it knowing it was exactly what I wanted (more to come on that later).  As I began to wander around her blog I found the cutest train table that she built her little ones. 

So I am not proud or always innovative, just crafty!  Why fight something that you already like, right?

Here is our version.

Train Table before

We built the frame very similar.

Our wood buy list:

2 – 2x4 8 ft. long (doubled up and used for legs, because cheaper than 4x4)

2 – 1x4 6 ft. long (for frame)

1 – 2ft. x 4ft. 1/4 inch smooth finished plywood

Train Table2

The table was built by screwing 2 2x4’s together at the top and the bottom as shown in the pictures above.  I then turned the screws to the inside of the table and screwed each side of the frame to the legs with two screws just as the arrow shows in the picture above.  I made sure to drop the top of the legs 1.5 inches inside the frame to allow for a lip on the table when completed.

Then I took a pencil sketched some flowing  lines to paint a road, lake, river, and hills.

Acrylic paint from Michael’s and a foam brushes made this so much easier than it was in my mind.  I sealed the top with a satin varnish in the same acrylic paint line.  I am so glad that I did this to withstand the wear of trains and cars as well as making the table top wipeable!

Then to place the top on the table frame, it was simply set inside the frame with Liquid Nails placed on the top of the legs to hold it all together.

Train Table overhead

I have been shocked how much attention this little table gets and how much fun it gives!

Train Table after

Where I’m sharing:

Skip To My Lou

Under the Table and Dreaming

Tip Junkie

Night Owl Crafting

Lil Luna

House of Hepworths

Bear Rabbit Bear

Just a Little Creativity

Living Life Intentionally

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

My Repurposed Life

Lolly Jane Boutique

Fingerprints on the Fridge

Positively Splendid

I’ve been featured here:

Just a Little Creativity


9 comments:

  1. I think that one you made for your child is so much more sentimental than the generic ones you can buy in the store. You're looks like a beautiful piece of furniture, not just white mdf board. I love it! Well done!
    I'd love for you to come in link this idea and any other goodies you have up to my *Get Creative* party this week
    http://www.justalittlecreativity.com/2012/02/get-creative-party-3-and-fun-features.html
    Hope to see you there!
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is really nice! Sharing with the hubby! So glad that you shared it at Things I've Done Thursday!!

    Melanie
    www.bearrabbitbear.com
    P.S. I launched a great CD giveaway today if you're interested!! http://www.bearrabbitbear.com/2012/03/ummcan-i-get-zumba-dvd-to-this-review.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally making this! Love it! I'd love for you to come link this up!

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2012/03/tuesday-time-out.html#.T1YnylHlyGc

    Melanie :)
    Reasons To Skip The Housework

    ReplyDelete
  4. what are the table's measurements?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing job you did with this! And so special to have something made by hand with love. Thanks so much for linking up to my party this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was the total cost of all materials?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this table....I am building it for my son this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Do you remember your cost to build? I know it's been awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing work!!!! Where did you get train set?

    ReplyDelete

I love me some comments and appreciate your time in kindness in giving them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...