No doubt you may have seen this somewhere before. I found my inspiration on Pinterest. They were PB knock-offs. Truth be known, when I found the PB original, I preferred the knock-offs! They were cuter and more rustic looking, in my humble opinion.
So, I set out to get my wood and make a memory for our family.
- Buy a nice smooth finished 1x8 6ft. board.
- Next stain the board the color of your choice (mine is Minwax Provencial).
- After your stain dries, place a sawtooth picture hanger on the back top center of the board.
- Hang on the wall where you would like.
- Using a tape measure, measure from the floor up on your board (while it is hanging on the wall) and mark the first inch where the tape meets the board and each inch up to 1 foot.
- Next take the board off of the wall and lay on floor or flat surface to make your work easier. Line your tape measure back up and continue to mark each inch and foot mark throughout the entire board.
- Then paint your lines and numbers. (I used a ruler to have straight lines and a Sharpie oil based paint marker. I marked each inch mark 1.5 inches long and each foot mark 3 inches long. Lastly, I added the numbers with a stencil.)
- Then re-hang your ruler and to avoid it being loose, moveable, or swinging on the wall place a 3M command Velcro fastener to the back on each side.
- The ruler is accurate and can be used while hanging. To mark a child’s growth you can write on the board with a Sharpie on the front, side, or back.
It is my new favorite 1 year old gift to give our friends with a small toy, of course.
Where I’m sharing:
I’ve been featured here: